ICANN's RAA's DOJ matter? Was:Re: [ga] RAA

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN's RAA's DOJ matter? Was:Re: [ga] RAA
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:31:11 -0700
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, james tierney <james.tierney@xxxxxxxxx>, "Aljean.Brady@xxxxxxxxx" <Aljean.Brady@xxxxxxxxx>, "Therese.Fletcher@xxxxxxxxx" <Therese.Fletcher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all,

  You and Danny have again brought up relevant legal concerns
that are a matter for the DOJ.  Ergo I have changed the subject
line and am copying your well stated relevant concerns to
those at DOJ whom have had some involvement with ICANN
before.

  However given "Gonzo Gate" I wouldn't expect too much
from DOJ, and unless someone is willing to actually file
a complaint regarding the RAA contracts respect to
restraint of trade i.e. Sherman Antitrust Act or
Danny's reference, Clayton Act, I am doubtful any
inspiration form DOJ will be forth coming.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Danny Younger wrote:
>
> > As I understand it, "acting as a combination in
> > restraint of trade" is a reference to the U.S. Clayton
> > Act whose section 24 "Liability of directors and
> > agents of corporation"  states:
>
> Well, you might also want to check out 15 USC Sections 1 and 2:
>
>        Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or
>      conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several
>      States, or with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal. Every
>      person who shall make any contract or engage in any combination or
>      conspiracy hereby declared to be illegal shall be deemed guilty of
>      a felony, and, on conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine not
>      exceeding $10,000,000 if a corporation, or, if any other person,
>      $350,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding three years, or by both
>      said punishments, in the discretion of the court.
>
>        Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or
>      combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize
>      any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with
>      foreign nations, shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on
>      conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine not exceeding
>      $10,000,000 if a corporation, or, if any other person, $350,000, or
>      by imprisonment not exceeding three years, or by both said
>      punishments, in the discretion of the court.
>
> That's the Sherman Antitrust Act dating from 1890 - 117 years ago.
> There's also the 15 USC section 45.
>
> Yes, it is a complex subject, full of arcane definitions and
> distinctions.  It is a field for experts.
>
> And not every combination in restraint of trade is illegal - but certain
> characteristics tend to be strong indicia that the combination is going
> to be found unlawful.
>
> One of those indicators is agreements to set prices.  Oops, ICANN and
> the companies that participate in its various supporting organizations
> could be running afoul of that one.  And one might consider requiring
> the purchaser to agree to the UDRP and whois, etc to be part of the
> "price": the potential hole is getting deeper.
>
> Another is allocating market share.  Oops, ICANN and the companies in
> the SO's might be running afoul of that one as well (by virtue of their
> role as gatekeeper saying who may and who may not enter the DNS
> marketplace - e.g. the TLD policy)
>
> And there is an entirely different set of laws, definitions, and
> distinctions in the many nations that are affected by ICANN.  Just
> consider how the EU is going after Microsoft after the US DoJ gave
> Microsoft a trivial slap.
>
> You might want to check out
> http://personal.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/icann-antitrust.pdf
>
> I use the phrase "combination in restraint of trade" as a generic
> description, not a legal word of art.  That's why I always try to follow
> it with a comment that it is a question for each relevant jurisdiction
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827