Re: [ga] Escrowing Proxy Data instead of True Registrant Data

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Escrowing Proxy Data instead of True Registrant Data
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 15:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My understanding of this issue is that it is not about privacy. It is about accurate retention of important data. Integrity of the data base is paramount. The Privacy issue is seperate.

  Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

  Eric

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi Karl,

Customers through the registration process have
already provided their true contact details to their
registrar of choice. In many cases they are also
asking the registrar to keep such data away from
public view (WHOIS). Escrow does not put such data
into the public view.

Privacy is a choice we can respect, and escrow by its
very nature (as a mechanism to keep true and accurate
records available for use in the event of a real
emergency) does not generally violate established
non-disclosure principles.

You are doubtless aware that there are data retention
laws all over the world that mandate the escrow of
data. The privacy rights of natural persons are not
violated when such data is retained solely as an
emergency back-up.

The important thing is to make sure that we don't have
a repeat of the ProtectFly situation that overly
complicates determining who is the actual registrant
of record.

--- Karl Auerbach wrote:

> Danny Younger wrote:
>
> > "4.1.4 Registrars ...
>
> > A failure to escrow the data pertaining to the
> "real
> > registrant" (by making it optional) is a horribly
> bad
> > idea.
>
> Danny, on this point I tend to differ.
>
> If, and please note the "if", customers are made
> aware in advance of the
> situation and chose to value their privacy over
> other concerns than it
> make sense for the registration system to honor that
> choice.
>
> Personally, my own sense is that the entire escrow
> mechanism is the
> wrong approach.
>
> I prefer that registrars and registries be given the
> choice to pick
> their own business-record survival strategies. But
> they must make a
> choice, and let the consumers know what it is so
> that the consumers can
> make the choice whether to buy into that registry or
> registrar.
>
> Yes, there is a problem for the people who are
> already locked in, as are
> many of us who are in .com since before there was
> even a Network
> Solutions, much less a Verisign or ICANN. We had no
> choice to make back
> then.
>
> --karl--

Need Mail bonding?