Re: [SPAM] [ga] Afilias to increase .info price effective October 15, 2007

  • To: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [SPAM] [ga] Afilias to increase .info price effective October 15, 2007
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:44:10 +0200
  • Cc: "John M.R. Kneuer \(U.S. Department of Commerce\)" <jkneuer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Vint Cerf" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Anick Jesdanun \(Associated Press\)" <netwriter@xxxxxx>, "Arik Hesseldahl \(BusinessWeek\)" <Arik_Hesseldahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Paul Sloan \(Business2.com\)" <psloan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Scott Ard \(c|net\)" <sard@xxxxxxxx>, "Rachel Rosmarin \(Forbes\)" <rrosmarin@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Adam Gaffin \(NetworkWorld\)" <agaffin@xxxxxxx>, "Brian Krebs \(Washington Post\)" <brian.krebs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "CNN News Tips" <ireport@xxxxxxx>, "NY Times News Tips" <news-tips@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 18:58 17/04/2007, Prophet Partners Inc. wrote:
Afilias has notified ICANN of a price increase to $6.15 for new .info registrations and renewals. The price change will coincide with VeriSign's price increase for .com and .net effective October 15, 2007. In our opinion, this looks more like collusion and price fixing, than a competitive free market environment. We believe it is only a matter of time before similar unjustified price increases are announced by PIR for .org and NeuLevel for .biz.
<http://icann.org/correspondence/laplante-to-twomey-13apr07.pdf>http://icann.org/correspondence/laplante-to-twomey-13apr07.pdf

etc...

When will people understand that Registrars are monopolies? They own the name that I must rent from them. Competition would be for the same name to be sold at lower rates, this is not possible in the NTIA organised scarcity. Obviously, had we (atlarge) not been divided by ICANN valets, and disserved by Paul Vixie, we could use user keywords or run our own Bind on our own Windows machine.

BTW, what does prevent us to do it now?

Also, when will they understand that if ICANN and root servers disapeared, nothing special would happen except for those who have picked a poor ISP. (I did not say "root file", that would be the next step). The whole alt-root issue is just for ICANN to make believe a root is needed. This is like the rooster making believe it awakes the sun. Or the map printer who believes he owns the country.

Let be clear, the only interest in the ICANN/RSSAC/Registrars, etc. stuff is to make sure that my name is unique. If it actually makes sure that the name I want is under tasting, why would I bother about it?

The only think which really counted until now was the IP address. It seems that multi-layer addresses could eventually free us from most of that silly constraint.

jfcm