To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [ga] keeping expired domains by a registrar

Hi Chris,

Your thoughts on this are idealistic, not realistic. The reality is that
expiring domains are still available on a first-come first-serve basis. The
domain auctions through registrars such as Network Solutions are open to the
public and there is nothing to prevent anyone from participating, provided
they are willing to pay the price. Given that drop catching has been
automated via scripts for several years already, what makes you think that
allowing domains to drop via the normal deletion cycle would offer any
advantage to the normal registrant? If the registrars didn't auction the
domains, then companies like SnapNames or Pool would, upon immediately
registering the domain after Pending Delete.

Expired domains are essentially abandoned property. If you fail to pay the
mortgage, your home gets foreclosed and is auctioned off to someone else. In
the real world, lotteries only exist for undeveloped public land, not for
formerly private property. IMO, the current environment for expiring domains
represents a healthy and competitive market.

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com