Re: [ga] keeping expired domains by a registrar

At 02:51 a.m. 9/04/2007, Prophet Partners Inc. wrote:

Expired domains are essentially abandoned property.

Not always. There are a variety of real-life reasons that can cause inadvertent expiration.
Say, a registrar normally debits a credit card for auto-renewal, but the card expires at the wrong moment. Sickness, administrative snafu's, registration by a third party who disappears, unexpected long travel, I have heard it all.

If you fail to pay the
mortgage, your home gets foreclosed and is auctioned off to someone else.

Now the registration fee becomes a mortgage??

It used to be compared with a property tax, non payment of which , indeed can also bring foreclosure and auction, but not without a large number of safeguards.

Such safeguards as initially existed for Domain holders, have been eroded away by abusive drop script vulture practices. Too often I hear that hapless owners are charged extortionate fees to regain their domains.

 In
the real world, lotteries only exist for undeveloped public land, not for
formerly private property. IMO, the current environment for expiring domains
represents a healthy and competitive market.

Let us see what happens with the Registerfly fallout and the resulting "expired" names. We cannot call trade in essentially stolen domains a healthy market. Practices aiding and abetting extortion even less.

-joop-