RE: [ga] Notification of Self Organization

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Notification of Self Organization
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

--- Dominik Filipp <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> it makes no sense to recall the whole genesis all over again. But
> take
> it as a result of strong dissatisfaction over the long-term
> persisting
> inactivity regarding the legitimate interests of the
> registrants/stakeholders/users.

We had an LSE report --- no need to reinvent the wheel time and time
again, on an ad-hoc basis.

As the GA is open to anyone, including registrars, registries, business
people, TM holders, non-profits etc. --- in other words, people who are
able to join any one of the formal GNSO Constituencies, which elects a
GNSO Council, reduplicating that within the GA is redundant. Suppose
100 registrars joined the GA list, and "voted" for something. Is that
now a separate independent entity from the Registrars Constituency,
entitled to an extra seat at the ICANN table? Of course not.

Trying to "takeover" the GA list, and pretend it is something that it
is not, makes it seem like a MUD. I picked the Business Constituency.
Chuck Gomes picked the Registry Constituency. Danny Younger picked the
non-commercial constituency. Tim Ruiz picked the Registrars
Constituency. Pick a relevant constituency, and join it.

We can take a stab at making a flowchart (perhaps someone with more
time and a copy of Visio can do something more formal). Here's my 2
minute version, a rough first draft:

1) Are you a registrant??
  a) If yes, go to Step 2.
  b) If no, go to Step 6.

2) Are you a business?
  a) If yes, go to Step 3.
  b) If no, go to Step 6.

3) As a business, is your primary interest Intellectual Property?
  a) If yes, join the Intellectual Property Constituency --
http://gnso.icann.org/intellectual-property/
  b) If no, go to to Step 4.

4. As a business that is not primarily concerned with Intellectual
Property, are you a registrar or a registry?
  a) If yes, join the Registrar Constituency (
http://gnso.icann.org/registrars/ ) or the Registry Constituency (
http://gnso.icann.org/gtld-registries/ ).
 b) If no, go to Step 5.

5. As a business that is not a registrar or registry, and not primarily
conccerned with Intellectual Property, are you an ISP?
  a) If yes, join the ISP Constituency -
http://gnso.icann.org/internet-service-and-connection-providers/
  b) If no, join the Business Constituency --
http://gnso.icann.org/commercial-and-business/.

6. As a registrant who is not a business, are you eligible for the
Non-Commercial Constituency?
  a) If yes, join the NCUC http://gnso.icann.org/non-commercial/
  b) If no, go to step 7.

7. Are you a government?
 a) If yes, join the GAC -- http://gac.icann.org/web/index.shtml
 b) If no, join the ALAC -- http://alac.icann.org/ ,
http://alac.icann.org/applications/

Feel free to update the flowchart with suggestions, as it was made in 5
minutes on a Friday afternoon. Of course, if the reform suggestions of
the LSE report is adopted by the Board, it's simplified. I leave that
as an exercise for the reader.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/