Re: [ga] More thoughts on a Registrants Constituency

At 04:14 PM 3/9/2007, Karl Auerbach wrote:

This need for our combined intelligence is why I am so strongly in favor of election systems that admit individual people as electors.

Karl,

I don't think this argument is going to temp the ICANN staff not to obstruct the idea of an registrant GNSO constituency, let alone an At Large of registrants that directly elects a significant number of board members.

I see the need for democracy and voting not as something that gives the benefit of combined intelligences. If it does anywhere, that particular governance system is extremely fortunate.:-)

The need for elections and individual voters springs from another argument: there is no other way for the represented to *ensure* that their representatives (in the GNSO or on the Board) have an honest mandate to represent registrants At Large.

To facilitate the bootstrapping of a constituency I have no problem starting out with appointees , but sooner or later any mandate must be subjected to the feedback of votes.

-joop-