Re: [ga] Is VeriSign currently negotiating with ICANN to raise .com prices via "extraordinary expense" justification??

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Is VeriSign currently negotiating with ICANN to raise .com prices via "extraordinary expense" justification??
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:12:17 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: vint@xxxxxxxxxx, cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George,

  I think you nailed it here. No response or a false response would appear to be actionable if in fact negotiations are in the works in secret. Once ICANN took over the right of regulating prices they correspondingly now owe a certain duty to do it properly.

  Eric

George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  <snip>
So, my question is this: Is VeriSign at present negotiating with or
discussing with ICANN staff the possibility of raising prices using the
"justification" argument? (as opposed to the "unjustified" increases)

If so, will the public be entitled to review and have a public comment
period to review the so called "evidence", including ALL the relevant
financials? Furthermore, will the public be permitted to present
counter evidence of counterbalancing COST DECREASES (e.g..
technological cost reductions for hardware and bandwidth), as discussed
for instance at:

ICANN has a tendency, to present these negotiated results at the 11th
hour as a "fait accompli" with limited time to prepare and respond.
That's why I ask well in advance of anything having been made public,
so that opponents can get ready to rumble and that the Board is not
taken by surprise either by possible secret negotiations conducted by
staff.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/