RE: [ga] More thoughts on a Registrants Constituency

  • To: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Danny Younger'" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Karl Auerbach'" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] More thoughts on a Registrants Constituency
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:08:31 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I firmly agree with the concept of acknowledging the competing consensus' and letting the matter rest on the qualitative weight which each persuasion sets forth.

  Eric

JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 14:24 08/03/2007, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>I have a problem with the fact that most of the time when an organizational
>issue is put on the table, the conversation ends up in counting votes. Am I
>the only one who thinks that with this obsession on voting power we miss
>opportunities to make our voice heard?

Correct. Remember the GA: it took its first year to vote on the way
it will vote.
This is worrying because a vote only shows that a proposed idea has
oponents and therefore is of no use at this stage.

ITEF rough consensus hides that. But it is no more credible in a
diversified multi-Internet culture. We have a good exemple of this
worldwide discredit wih the IDNA issue.

We worked on this at the WG-Review. And I think we came back with
good responses, even if we missed the practical tools we needed, may
be it could have been a Wiki. Credibility IMHO is now with
multi-consensus. This means a text documenting consensually each
different position, the commonly negociated areas of
interoperability/interinteligibility, and the solution of their possible lacks.

This is easier IMHO in a constituency or through a cross-constituency
polylogue (that could be the GA: Members/reps of each constituencies
since the council is opaque). The problem is not so much
organizational but "power"/ego consideration grip using competence in
petty ICANN oddities and private ties as an alibi). In any case it
should result into formal official documents.

jfc

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.