[ga] Registerfly & Redemption Grace Period Profiteering

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Registerfly & Redemption Grace Period Profiteering
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:47:17 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto,

I am noticing many registerfly-related complaints such
as this one on the registerflies discussion forum:

"I've lost hundreds of dollars to eNom who shamelessly
"helped" me renew names (at $160 a pop) that expired
because the RF system wouldn't let me."

>From the eNom TOS:  "In this case, the domain name
will be designated as being in the extended redemption
grace period ("ERGP"), and you will be allowed to
assume, during the first 120 days of the then extant
registration term, complete management of the domain
name services, including the right to control the DNS
settings, provided that you pay a fee of $160 (US
dollars) plus any registration fees."

These RGP fees are way out of line and gouging the
hapless victims of the registerfly meltdown is
repugnant profiteering.

ICANN had the opportunity to introduce competition
into this RGP area so that registrants could choose
their redeeming registrar at a fair price (this was
the Stage 2 recommendation  -- see
http://www.icann.org/bucharest/redemption-topic.htm).
Thus far the Board has done nothing to stimulate
competition with respect to RGP.

Is there a chance that at some point soon the Board
will do what has to be done?  I think that the public
interest demands far more than that which has been
offered thus far.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail