RE: [ga] Registerfly & Data Escrow

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Registerfly & Data Escrow
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:48:59 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Roberto,

If I understand Jon correctly the issue is that "ICANN
has never implemented a schedule, terms, or a format
of the escrow arrangement".

While I suppose that I could ask Mike Zupke to detail
the reasons why Staff has not yet acted to implement
data escrow arrangements, frankly I thought that it
was the Board's duty to take responsibility for
continued Staff inaction...

As a reminder, this inaction has persisted since
November 2001 when the registrar data escrow testbed
was first proposed, and even though ICANN has data
escrow listed as a project under its current
operational plan, we have yet to see this particular
project take shape.

Roberto, as a Board Director your duty is to act in
the best interests of ICANN.  I would argue that
ICANN's interests would be well served by a data
escrow arrangement that would also protect and serve
the public interest.

Perhaps we could encourage you to investigate the
current status of the data escrow project... it would
certainly add to our appreciation of ICANN's
commitment to transparency if project details could
soon be released.

Best regards,
Danny

--- Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Danny Younger wrote:
>

> > My question to you:  Is the registrar community
> generally in
> > compliance with data escrow provisions, or do we
> still have a
> > major problem that remains unaddressed by ICANN's
> Compliance Staff?
>
> The best person to ask, as you probably know, is
> Mike Zupke.
> I encourage you to do so, should the answer by Jon
> not be sufficient.
>
> Regards,
> Roberto

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate