Re: [ga] A Policy Discussion

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Policy Discussion
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:08:52 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all,

  Agreed.  We have been saying how poorly ICANN and
the GNSO has been in determining and following through
on almost all policy matters sense ICANN was only
a concept and the DNSO was formed/created.

The ugly saga of ICANN continues...

Danny Younger wrote:

> It has gotten to the point that I can no longer trust
> the GNSO to responsibly manage DNS policy matters.
>
> Let's consider the general state of long-standing
> ICANN Consensus Policies:
>
> 1.  The UDRP -- still in need of a major overhaul
>
> 2.  The WHOIS Data Reminder Policy -- no empirical
> evidence that this policy is achieving the goal of
> improving contact detail accuracy
>
> 3.  The Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy -- unlike the
> auDA policy that states:  "The losing registrar must
> not impose a transfer fee on the registrant, or any
> fee that could reasonably be construed as a transfer
> fee", ICANN registrars have imposed significant
> transfer-away fees that defeat the aim of facile
> domain name portability.
>
> 4.  The Whois Marketing Restriction Policy -- No
> evidence that compliance with registrars' access
> agreements has ever been monitored
>
> 5.  The Restored Names Accuracy Policy -- on how many
> occasions has the submission of false contact data
> actually resulted in names being placed in registrar
> hold status?
>
> 6.  The Expired Domain Deletion Policy -- circumvented
> by almost every registrar via their Terms of Service
> language
>
> Of course, there are other policies in addition to the
> above that require work:
>
> 1.  The Add Grace policy that promotes typosquatting
> at epidemic levels
>
> 2.  The Redemption Grace Period policy that still
> denies registrants a competitive choice in the
> selection of a redeeming registrar and locks the
> unfortunate into fees that are extortionate in the
> extreme
>
> 3.  WHOIS policy (guided by a Task Force that chooses
> to ignore all public comments tendered instead of
> incorporating such comments to cure deficiencies in
> the WHOIS policy proposals that the TF has put forth).
>
> While there are many other policy areas that could be
> added to this list, it should be clear to most that
> established policies should never be treated as static
> elements.  There is a need to revisit policy choices
> to determine whether they are efficacious and to see
> whether improvements should be made.
>
> Yet when I consider the activities of the GNSO I am
> reminded of Nero who fiddled while Rome burned; I am
> not seeing a dedication to the GNSO's fundamental
> mission.
>
> At the end of the day it is the registrant community
> that is directly affected by ICANN policy outcomes.
> Common sense would dictate that registrants as
> impacted parties would have a place at the GNSO Table
> as a recognized constituency.  Sadly, common sense has
> never ruled the day within ICANN and poor policy will
> doubtless remain the norm.

> http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827