Re: [ga] another twist on whois (long)

  • To: "Dena Whitebirch" <shore@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] another twist on whois (long)
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:23:52 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good case to bring up Dena. ICANN is so intent on making sure registries and registrars make money that they are not prone to have any protection in place for consumers. People here say it's not ICANN's job. Then who's job is it? You cannot rely on existing laws because the Internet traverses virtually every country in the world all with different laws. Governements cannot make the rules on this because the rules they make would only apply to it's own citizens. The rules have to be made by an International organization that has something to do with controlling the DNS and domain names in general. Wait . . . We have one that is involved in that . . . ICANN.

They have the power to demand consumer protection be included in all registry agreements. Wow. That could help a lot. Of course the registries won't want ICANN to do that. They make a lot of money from domain tasting, consumer fraud, and other practices. They want no regulation whatsoever. And of course ICANN makes money off of all the same practices so not thinking they will want to provide consumers a little protection either.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://www.articlecontentprovider.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dena Whitebirch" <shore@xxxxxxxxxx>