Re: [ga] Getting Heard by the ICANN Board

Bret,
everything mattered for me. I have to admit, though, that the GA list has been the most aggressive one. Each of the others would offer their comments without insisting their view is the ultimate truth :-)
I was surprised that besides my request in one of my first meetings to the people in the public forum, to approach me at any meeting or via e-mail, not that many used this opportunity. Live conversations are always much better than e-mailing.
The debates on the Board level, esp. on some of the most discussed topics, have also been quite useful, but I can't say that my opinion has been influenced in particular by only one party.
I've used only some of my experience, mainly the fact that I've been running a whole company for nine years, and this gave me understanding of the business around the domain names.

However, you ask how people could be better heard.
The best way is just to talk to ICANN. One can say that by being aggressive, one can win a lot. My understanding is a little bit different - if a person can communicate and understand the other, then he or she will be invincible.
Often people would not use the opportunity to talk to the ICANN directors or staff in a friendly manner; instead they prefer to gain some image, which is good, if you are in politics or show-business, but in real life it does not help. I can give examples of such cases, where I'd be with someone at an airport, and instead of talking to me, they'd prefer to get on their e-mail (and I guess often on mailing lists, where they'd write that the Board directors are sitting somewhere on the stage, far away from "the community")

Also, it would be good if the members of the community also sign declarations like the ones we do - for conflicts of interests, so that when a director talks to X., they'd know who is X, which company (s)he is representing, or lobbying for, etc.

A chart on the web site may also do the job, e.g. "X is employee of Y. Y is in contractual relations with Registrar Z", etc.

veni