Re: [ga] Registerfly domain renewal issues

  • To: "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "vinton g. cerf" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, "icann board address" <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Registerfly domain renewal issues
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:00:17 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2006/d2006-1118.html

This continues to amaze me. Taking down fan sites because they are similar to what they are a fan of. It makes no sense whatsoever. BarbieFans.com would go to mattel because it has the name barbie in it.

But the corporations get more leeway than individual users. An example, the high cost of arbitration. Individual users have a hard time hiring a lwayer and paying high fees to go into arbitration. If you want a 3 member panel it costs more. A corporation has lawyers on staff and can afford to do this all the time to grab up more and more domain names while an individual user does not have that same ability.

They send out emails that threaten users with legal action quoting cybersquatting laws, jail, and fines to make the average user relinquish their rights and nothing at all is being done about this.

How about a response Vint. When is ICANN going to balance the needs of individual users against these bullies?

Don't quote me strictly on this case. Address the overall issue. Too expensive for small businesses and individuals to do the arbitration process and toom many domain names that are not "confusingly" similar to the trademarks being decided as confusing. No one will confuse applefan.com with apple.com or assume it is an apple site. It is obviously a domain registered by someone who likes apple or that is what most would think. Same with barbiefan.com, etc.

Also comments about reverse domain hijacking need to be addressed.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://www.articlecontentprovider.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>