[ga] A Fool's Paradise

  • To: GA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] A Fool's Paradise
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:56:35 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A Fool's Paradise

Meaning:

A state of happiness based on false hope.

Origin:

An early phrase, first recorded in the Paston Letters,
1462:

"I wold not be in a folis paradyce."

Shakespeare later used it in Romeo and Juliet.

Nurse:
Now, afore God, I am so vexed, that every part about
me quivers. Scurvy knave! Pray you, sir, a word:
and as I told you, my young lady bade me inquire you
out; what she bade me say, I will keep to myself:
but first let me tell ye, if ye should lead her into
a fool's paradise, as they say, it were a very gross
kind of behavior, as they say: for the gentlewoman
is young; and, therefore, if you should deal double
with her, truly it were an ill thing to be offered
to any gentlewoman, and very weak dealing.

Modern Usage:

An ICANN RALO -- see
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-22nov06.htm