Re: [ga] IDN

  • To: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] IDN
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 03:00:52 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Seems this mail did not go through?
Please someone (just one) from GA acknowledge.
Thank you!
jfc

At 15:57 10/11/2006, kidsearch wrote:
However, even with fragmentation, I don't believe the scam or trademark issues are that big. No more than now. You have to register your business in every single country you do business in. You have to register your trademark in every country you wish to protect it in. Having to also have a presence on each Network through domain names, etc. is also a part of the process. Protecting paypal in a country they don't do business in would not be necessary.

I haven't decided whether I am for or against fragmentation, however I used to be totally opposed to it and now have a more open mind about it. There are some positives to it as well. Seems the people that would hate it the most are big corporations that seem to want control would find controlling the Internet a lot tougher.

IDNs are an important matter of survival for ICANN as only 11% of the world population speaks English and a large part of this population is exposed to diacritics in their names, business names, etc. So, one can evaluate to no more than 15% the number of domain names which can be registered in pure ASCII.

This is why the GNSO has organised a WG-IDN to consider this issue. This is also why all those who feel concerned and competent should join this WG-IDN and participate into the election of its Chair. It is however unclear how you can become a Member. I initially thought it was an open WG, like the WG-Review we were many of us participated into. I therefore sent a mail to Bruce Tomkin, but he was probably traveling. Then I sent a mail on this GA and got no comments. Then I was told ICANN people attending the IGF had told we have to be a member of an ICANN/GNSO constituency. So I applied to become back a NCUC Members (I did not join when they decided to make it a paying stuff, but ...). I now wait for the Membership to be accepted.

You see it is important to help ICANN tackling the IDN situation correctly. At IETF I opposed the current IDNA RFCs because they could only lead us to the situation we are in - not understanding DNS management under language duress. There are solutions to address that I already proposed by then and I was denied. Now, the IAB etc. just proposed an RFC 4690 which does not help ICANN much (they say "multilingual" is a word not to use while ICANN publishes a pamphlet on the "Multilingual Internet" they want to lead!). There is also a lot of architecural misunderstanding of what is possible (ICANN has requested this to be tested in its ICP-3 document a long ago that the IETF chose to disregard, but I applied with up to 30 machines on-line). Last year I proposed IAB/IESG a liaison with the ccTLDs to be discussed to address points like that: they declined. There is also an architectural misunderstanding over Chinese Names, Keywords, and Aliases, what they are and what the DNS can support. We saw this misunderstanding in the ITU/UNESCO meeting in Geneva. ICANN has not realised yet that they only "control" the namespace today because many enough still believe they do.

This is why it is the last chance we have to keep the namespace unified and diverse, or we will have it fragmented in less time that you think. My interest for 30 years is in the users relational spaces. They are deeply endangered by the policy of some at the IETF and the implication on the IANA. Fortunately (even if the do not (want to?) understand it yet, this is a move against ICANN, hence we can ally). I fought this action in adopting an hurting to me but wining weak to strong strategy. However, we now need to go further and stabilise the Multilingual Internet. The best candidate to do that is ICANN, _IF_ they do it technically properly and as a support not as a leader of the Multilingual Internet.

This is up to them to decide: they must be transparent, intelligent, efficient, competent, and humble. Let imagine what would be the ICANN in the Internet Governance should their contribution to the DNS was limited to the Internationalised ASCII Legacy! I do not say that this would not be positive in some areas, but this would kill the hope of a DNSSEC deployment. Due to the status of the technology, however we can oppose the concept, we MUST - at least for a few years - support the "decentralised" ICANN grip on the namespace. Or to change the Internet technology (IAB/IRTF start discusssing this actively, as GENI is also coming up). Or to permit Google to take over.

jfc

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
<http://www.articlecontentprovider.com>http://www.articlecontentprovider.com