Re: [ga] Is VeriSign in violation of section 16.C of the 2001 .com Registry Agreement?

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Is VeriSign in violation of section 16.C of the 2001 .com Registry Agreement?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:00:53 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, john.jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx, vint@xxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, james tierney <james.tierney@xxxxxxxxx>, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George and all,

  Nice bit of detective work/follow on here.  A shame Elliot Spitizer
has recently been elected Gov. of NY.  Maybe the DOJ can get
off the dime on this one and give Mr. jeffrey a tug on his chain on
this one.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd discussed section 16.C in the past at:
>
> http://www.icannwatch.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/28/0231226
>
> An interesting post by Edward Hasbrouk at:
>
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/revised-biz-info-org-agreements/msg00011.html
>
> prompted me to look at:
>
> http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/
>
> and in particular the list of entities at:
>
> http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sdn/index.shtml
> http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sdn/prgrmlst.txt
> ("Specially Designated Nationals List", the text version sorted by
> program)
>
> If one finds VeriSign doing business with any of those entities, that
> would seem to be a no no, wouldn't it?? Anyhow, in the Cuba section, I
> noticed:
>
> HOLA SUN HOLIDAYS LIMITED, 146 Beaver Creek Road, Richmond Hill,
> Ontario, L4B
> 1C2, Canada [CUBA]
>
> (there are probably others, but that's just one I found fast by
> searching for "Canada")
>
> According to their WHOIS: http://whois.domaintools.com/holasun.com
>
> Registrant:
> Hola Sun Holidays
>   146 West Beaver Creek Road
>   Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B 1C2
>   CA
>
> Of course, this is a .com -- a registry run by our good friends at
> VeriSign. The domain is registered with Network Solutions, which was
> once owned by VeriSign. And according to the historic WHOIS at
> domaintools.com (membership required):
>
> http://domain-history.domaintools.com/?page=details&domain=holasun.com&vol=2&date=2000-04-11
>
> Domain: holasun.com
> Cache Date:      2000-04-11
> Registrar:      NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>
> Registrant:
> Hola Sun Holidays
> 146 West Beaver Creek Road
> Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B 1C2
> CA
>
> And if one looks at the SSL certificate used for that domain name, it
> is provided by Thawte, which is owned by VeriSign:
>
> https://www.thawte.com/core/process?process=public-site-seal-cert-details&public-site-seal-cert-details.referer=http://www.holasun.com/
>
> [ organization ]        Holasun Holidays Ltd
> [ domain ]      www.holasun.com
> [ country ]     Canada
> [ current status ]      Valid
> [ valid from ]  2006.09.20
> [ valid until ] 2008.09.19
>
> So, does VeriSign have the necessary exemptions in place to be able to
> register domains or issue SSL certs to these entities? [Other
> registries (and registrars) might want to be careful, too.] If not, is
> 16.C triggered?? I'm not a lawyer (nor play one on TV!), so perhaps
> some of the legal eagles on this list might weigh in with their views.
>
> BTW,
> http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/regulations/t11trav.pdf
> makes interesting reading, e.g.:
>
> "Can a travel agent in the United States...

> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827