RE: [ga] VeriSign offering Chinese IDN-TLDs?? Which root??

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] VeriSign offering Chinese IDN-TLDs?? Which root??
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:07:01 +0200
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CNNIC just cleverly organises the various possibilities the IETF/WG-IDNA refused to document to support a full MLDNS. The WG-IDNA opposed that solution when I proposed it. It permits to support chinese names from non-Chinese ISPs without a plug-in and to drop the ".cn" when accessing from patched ISPs. This is not the best impossible in an IETF environement solution, but this is one of the solutions.

One must understand that the root servers/alt-root concepts are technically obsolete (but politically useful). Name resolution is usually carried at local network and ISP level. At that level the top zone information is usually obtained in two ways (for the DNS): the ftp internic source for the NTIA root file and stub files shopped by the ISP the way it wants. In addition other resolution processes may occur at ISP (and at user level): keywords (determined by the ISP) and aliases (determined by the ISP and the user). This actually makes five different systems when the IETF wants to identify and document the management of a single one to please ICANN (and until recently Verisign).

One must understand that there are seven or more successive ways in the resolution path to support keywords under windows (when the entered string triggers its conversion into an IP address). This means that there may be keywords conflicts which will be addressed in a given order. Without a standardization keywords are not trustable and aliases may create havoc.

We are in a typical case where innovation is blocked by "manufacturers" and where we have a lead user (China) break through. The interest is that the Chinese approach is typical of the Multi-Internet (coexistence of multiple approaches of the digital ecosystem), and is totally foreign for the time being to the "I*" establishment's culture, vision, and short-term interests.
jfc