Re: [ga] Hawaii also not on ICANN agenda?

Quoting Andy Gardner on Monday October 16, 2006:

| Any particular reason behind ICANN deciding to ban Hawai'ians from
| using their glottal stop in IDN names?

RFC compliance?

I realise the question is loaded: "deciding to ban" seems to imply
intent, but assuming you mean a glottal stop represented as an
apostrophe, "Hawai'i" is fully part of the ASCII repertoire and
therefore unencodable as an IDN. It is not legal as a regular domain
name as it breaks STD3 conventions (i.e. LDH rule).

kim