[ga] RE: Did .biz/info/org registries respond to public comments before October 10th?

  • To: Vint Cerf <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] RE: Did .biz/info/org registries respond to public comments before October 10th?
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:09:44 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Vint. The Board might want to republicize the public comments
mailing list URLs (or create new mailing lists?) after they are posted,
so that the public can comment on the responses of the registries.

This has been brought up before, but should ICANN consider capturing
and storing the email addresses of those who verify their public
comments, so that ICANN can post updates to those interested people via
email? This goes to the issues of outreach, public participation, and
the LSE report. Thousands of individual responses were received on
various issues in the past (WLS, SiteFinder, etc.), but the
communications were 1-way, and ICANN missed an opportunity to create a
dialogue and new long-term participants in ICANN. By posting email
updates to those people who already showed some initiative to submit
comments, to let them know what ICANN is doing, and inviting them to
continue to participate with future comments on the same issue, or even
in all issues via directions on joining one of the GNSO constituencies,
ICANN would be encouraging organic growth.

Doing the above is not rocket-science...just a bit of grunt work,
pushing a table of email addresses into a different database, and
creating opt-in/opt-out mechanisms. All that technology already exists
within existing ICANN systems, and just needs to be linked together.
Hopefully the public participation managers at ICANN don't waste this
opportunity.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/