Re: [ga] price policy

People use cars to drive drunk and we don't ban cars or limit who can buy
them. Because some people spam, we should raise the prices on domain names
or set a minimum? Do you really believe that setting a minimum price on
domains will have any affect whatsoever on spam? We could raise the minimum
price to $100 per domain name and there would still be spammers.

As for the spam problem in general, yes it's a problem because it clogs
networks. Receiving spam as a user is no worse than receiving junk mail.
Better actually. I have to crumple the junk mail up and throw it in the
trash can. I have to pay garbage collectors to pick it up. Junk mail is a
small part of that cost. It also uses paper and few junkmailers use recycled
paper. All I have to do with spam is hit delete.

There are many bigger problems we should deal with and since this list is
about ICANN and they have nothing at all to do with controlling or
eliminating spam, maybe we should stick to other reasons we do not need
minimum price controls. Actually not sure why with all the stuff that has
already been pointed out why we are even still on that.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://www.articlecontentprovider.com

Sorry if I rambled. Just woke up and my first email is something from veni
suggesting setting minimum prices for domain names can somehow be related to
or deal with spam. Maybe I'm just dreaming and he didn't really say that.