Re: [ga] CCtlds

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Olivier Guillard / AFNIC <Olivier.Guillard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] CCtlds
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:10:55 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gentlemen your analisys seems correct. But you leave out GAC and bilateral US + you name it country, politics.

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Jefsey,

re: "This gives the responsibility to Tina Dam and to
the Presidential Advisory Committee"

As I see it, the ITU is the organization that seems to
be doing all the heavy lifting in this area --
doubtless you have noted the recent ITU survey on IDNs
directed to the ccTLD community:
http://www.itu.int/md/dologin_md.asp?lang=en&id=T05-TSB-CIR-0096!!MSW-E

My question is as follows:

The ICANN bylaws state one of our core values as: To
the extent feasible and appropriate, delegating
coordination functions to or recognizing the policy
role of other responsible entities that reflect the
interests of affected parties.

Shouldn't we be delegating IDN coordination functions
to the ITU? I look at the history of GNSO IDN Working
Groups and see no level of competency and no sustained
effort. Are you of a different view?

At least the ITU can serve to craft standards. Can
ICANN say the same?