Re: [ga] CCtlds

the ccTLD/ICANN relation was sometimes interesting. It lead Peter de Blanc, the Chair of the ccTLDs at that time to oppose ICANN the famous "don't oblige us to resort to our nuclear arsenal", meaning a ccTLD root. At that time France was one of the leaders of a friendly but separated attitude. It is based on the concept that RFC 1591 makes a ccTLD Manager the trustee of its national community. We progressively saw some of these trustees to become pure ccTLD Registry Managers. The Tunis agreement settled this in making the ccTLD Managers the affiliate of the Internationalized US system conducted by ICANN (the USG/ICANN agreement responds to the act of Congress voted to keep the Internet an US controlled system). There is a certain "normalization" in that direction after France (AFNIC) joined the ccNSO, accepting an ICANN preheminence and indirect certain control.

Together with multilingualisation this is leading to an Internet "split". The first known experience being China. The attitude of ICANN over the unworkable (the IETF technical proposition is not mature enough) IDN issue, will most probably determine the future of the digital system intergovernance (and the share of Internet, ICANN, IETF, etc.) in it. This will most probably result in broad part of the discussions which will be initiated in Athens. This will decide if this split result in a divide, a balkanization, or in concerted interoperations.

The attitude of the USG with ICANN seems to go into the good direction, and to be in line with their Statements which matches the general ecology of the digital ecosystem, the Internet is a part of. It consists in privatizing the internationalization of the Internationalised US Internet to the US industry, and making ICANN the missing trustee of the US local Internet community. The attitude of ICANN in the coming days will therefore be decisive. They can leave Athens as a the eldest brother or as the enemy. Frankly, this is truly up to them to decide.

IMHO this will result from their positions over the Multilingual Internet. The technical support they get from the IETF and IAB is real (RFC 4690) and inadequate, so we cannot expect any serious technical tackling of the problem. This gives the responsibility to Tina Dam and to the Presidential Advisory Committee. I wish them good luck as they need to politically address technical architectural errors (I proposed a tested and DNS coherent/consistent solution at the IETF WG when it was discussed. I was opposed because it disfavored Verisign interests at the time. I think there is still a two steps solution, but it will most probably depend on the way Google see their mid-term interests).

jfc