Re: [ga] U.S. Likely To Keep Control Of Internet Name System

  • To: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] U.S. Likely To Keep Control Of Internet Name System
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 07:06:27 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for this well informed post,

  I wish there was a well organized trustworthy truly international group to hand ICANN and their role over to, but alas there is not. The only question i see for the USA gov to decide is whether or not to take a more active role or leave it alone. Probably a compromise will occur.

"Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          http://www.informationweek.com/internet/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193000491&subSection=E-Business

  (Reuters) "On Sept. 30, the existing memorandum of understanding between ICANN and the Commerce Department will expire, but one State Department official says the government should extend its control."

  "The U.S. government controls the naming system for ".com" and other Web addresses through the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a not-for-profit company that decides what names can be registered. A Senate committee has scheduled a hearing next week to consider ICANN's future."

  "On Sept. 30, the existing memorandum of understanding between ICANN and the Commerce Department will expire but the government has the option to extend its control."

  It's a relief to hear a government official say the U.S. government should maintain oversight of ICANN. In any case, we should let the DOC know our opinion that the stability and security of the Internet requires continued oversight of ICANN and ensure that the MOU with ICANN is extended.

  We should also direct correspondence to John Kneuer, the Commerce Department's acting assistant secretary for communications and information.

  jkneuer (at) ntia.doc.gov
(202) 482-1830

  Other contact info including addresses and phone numbers at the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) can be found at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/phones.htm

  Sincerely,