Re: [ga] Re: Registries & Security Safeguards

  • To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Registries & Security Safeguards
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 06:59:57 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Stephane,

I am satisfied with several of Jerry Archer's
recommendations.  In fact, some of them are even now
being applied to new registries.  The appendices in
the .asia contract stipulate:

9. Fail Over Practice
The registry shall practice fail over between data
centers not less frequently than once
every two years.

This equates well with Mr. Archer's recommendation:
"Require registry operators to develop disaster
recovery and continuity plans and conduct rigorous
testing of such plans on an ongoing basis;"

I also understand that "experts" will on occasion
disagree, and I also know that experts that aren't
from deep within the domain registration industry will
occasionally "get something wrong".  We can probably
expect such to happen when the upcoming LSE report is
finally released.

That however, by itself, shouldn't detract from the
effort that has been made.  I'm pleased that a report
on security was commissioned.  I would have been more
pleased if it was ICANN that had commissioned such a
report.

Frankly, I like to have ICANN commission a whole
series of reports (starting with a statistical
overview of typosquatting/cybersquatting).

best regards,
Danny