RE: [ga] Outcome of discussion on string checks

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Outcome of discussion on string checks
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 12:33:12 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny,

I think it is unfair to say that the new gTLD committee wants to stifle
free speech and I think that there are a variety of opinions on the
committee, but I think it is fair to say that most of us on the
committee believe that it would not be smart to repeat what happened
with .xxx.  Therefore, there was general agreement that the GAC should
be consulted to see if there are 'public policy' concerns regarding new
gTLDs that the GAC could provide advice on before the process starts.
The types of strings Bruce listed are just a list of possible ones that
relate to public policy.

Chuck Gomes
VeriSign Information Services