[ga] No One Mourns the Wicked

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] No One Mourns the Wicked
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Chuck,

--- "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I learned years ago not to try to have meaningful dialog with people
> who
> make statements like this: "Chuck would argue that if anyone
> disagrees
> with him, they must be biased activists, and not representative of
> the
> unheard masses. Typical debating tactic used in high school, usually
> on
> the losing side."  So you are correct George: no response from me.

I feel so loved -- you actually responded, to declare why you're not
responding! :) I must be the most loved person in the Registry
Constituency right now. ;)

Does Jeff from Neustar, who we haven't heard from in weeks, still
believe Differential Pricing is not an issue

even when a Board member thinks it is:

http://scrawford.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/9/5/2299025.html ?

If I recall correctly, Jeff Neuman is a fan of Broadway musicals. So, I
thought I'd express myself in ways he might appreciate, drawing a
parallel to the musical "Wicked". :)

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-lyrics.htm

1) When the citizens of Oz are singing:

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-lyrics-8.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmtuoAOuJQA

Good news! She's dead!
The Witch of the West is dead!
The wickedest witch there ever was
The enemy of all of us here in Oz
Is Dead!
Good news!
Good news!

do you think that VeriSign might fit the role of the Witch of the West,
and the citizens of Oz are domain registrants? Of course, the above
song would need something like a stock options backdating scandal to
result in VeriSign's loss of the .com contract, or an anti-trust
suit.....or maybe SiteFinder. :)

2) When Elphaba (Witch of the West) first meets Galinda (the Good
Witch):

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-lyrics-3.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4b0zwL2mEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDfGU8riOs

GALINDA
WHAT IS THIS FEELING
SO SUDDEN AND NEW?

ELPHABA
I FELT THE MOMENT
I LAID EYES ON YOU ...

GALINDA
MY PULSE IS RUSHING ...

ELPHABA
MY HEAD IS REELING ...

GALINDA
MY FACE IS FLUSHING ...

BOTH
WHAT IS THIS FEELING?
FERVID AS A FLAME
DOES IT HAVE A NAME?
YES!:
LOATHING
UNADULTERATED LOATHING ...

Does that describe me and VeriSign? :) (of couse, I'd have to be
Galinda the Good, for obvious reasons)

But, have no fear, gentle readers, Galinda and Elphaba end up best
friends!

3) When Galinda is teaching Elphaba how to be popular, is that like me
trying to teach VeriSign how to do the right thing, in the interest of
registrants?

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-lyrics-popular.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKGXU1xdAY

GALINDA
You see Elphie, now that we're friends, I've decided to make you my new
project.

ELPHABA
You really don't have to do that.

GALINDA
(brightly)
I know. That's what makes me so nice!
(sings)
WHENEVER I SEE SOMEONE
LESS FORTUNATE THAN I
(AND LET'S FACE IT -- WHO ISN'T
LESS FORTUNATE THAN I?)
MY TENDER HEART
TENDS TO START TO BLEED
AND WHEN SOMEONE NEEDS A MAKEOVER
I SIMPLY HAVE TO TAKE OVER
I KNOW I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY NEED
AND EVEN IN YOUR CASE
THO' IT'S THE TOUGHEST CASE I'VE YET TO FACE
DON'T WORRY -- I'M DETERMINED TO SUCCEED
FOLLOW MY LEAD
AND YES, INDEED
YOU WILL BE...

POPULAR!
YOU'RE GONNA BE POPULAR!

:) I consider VeriSign to be my pet project. They certainly need a
makeover. And I'm determined to succeed. Follow my lead and yes indeed
you will be popular! :) And yes, that's what makes me so nice, because
I don't HAVE to do it! ;)

4) When Elphaba is singing "I'm not that Girl"

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-lyrics-6.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYFgu6VR7PI

Don't dream too far
Don't lose sight of who you are
Don't remember that rush of joy......

Ev'ry so often we long to steal
To the land of what-might-have-been
But that doesn't soften the ache we feel
When reality sets back in....

Don't wish, don't start
Wishing only wounds the heart
I wasn't born for the rose and the pearl

Does that sound like VeriSign bemoaning that the DOC hasn't approved
the .com proposed contract, has failed to keep SiteFinder, hasn't filed
its latest quarterly financial statements, and reality begins to set
back in?

5) When Elphaba is singing about "Defying Gravity" (Galinda has changed
her name to "Glinda" at this point of the story)

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-lyrics2.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlnWh2qiyqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJTqoB2iY4g

ELPHABA

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by
The rules of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes
And leap...

It's time to try defying gravity
I think I'll try defying gravity
And you can't pull me down

GLINDA
Can't I make you understand
You're having delusions of grandeur?

ELPHABA
I'm through accepting limits
Cuz someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try I'll never know

Does this sound like VeriSign and other registries having delusions of
grandeur, thinking that they can get away with their proposed new
contracts? "I'm through with playing by
The rules of someone else's game" sure sounds applicable.....trying to
find new limits.

6) Of course, we must have a happy ending. Elphaba and Glinda end as
good friends and then part.

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-for-good.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkMdQn4u_Is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwpKB-sj7GI

GLINDA
I'VE HEARD IT SAID
THAT PEOPLE COME INTO OUR LIVES FOR A REASON
BRINGING SOMETHING WE MUST LEARN
AND WE ARE LED
TO THOSE WHO HELP US MOST TO GROW
IF WE LET THEM
AND WE HELP THEM IN RETURN
WELL, I DON'T KNOW IF I BELIEVE THAT'S TRUE
BUT I KNOW I'M WHO I AM TODAY
BECAUSE I KNEW YOU...

LIKE A COMET PULLED FROM ORBIT
AS IT PASSES A SUN

LIKE A STREAM THAT MEETS A BOULDER
HALFWAY THROUGH THE WOOD
WHO CAN SAY IF I'VE BEEN CHANGED FOR THE BETTER?
BUT BECAUSE I KNEW YOU
I HAVE BEEN CHANGED FOR GOOD ?

ELPHABA
IT WELL MAY BE
THAT WE WILL NEVER MEET AGAIN
IN THIS LIFETIME
SO LET ME SAY BEFORE WE PART
SO MUCH OF ME
IS MADE OF WHAT I LEARNED FROM YOU
YOU'LL BE WITH ME
LIKE A HANDPRINT ON MY HEART
AND NOW WHATEVER WAY OUR STORIES END
I KNOW YOU HAVE RE-WRITTEN MINE
BY BEING MY FRIEND...

LIKE A SHIP BLOWN FROM ITS MOORING
BY A WIND OFF THE SEA
LIKE A SEED DROPPED BY A SKYBIRD
IN A DISTANT WOOD
WHO CAN SAY IF I'VE BEEN CHANGED FOR THE BETTER?
BUT BECAUSE I KNEW YOU...

GLINDA
BECAUSE I KNEW YOU...

BOTH
BECAUSE I KNEW YOU
I HAVE BEEN CHANGED FOR GOOD...

So, Chuck, maybe that's our future, I'll help VeriSign change "For
Good". :) If indeed it's true "THAT PEOPLE COME INTO OUR LIVES FOR A
REASON, BRINGING SOMETHING WE MUST LEARN
AND WE ARE LED, TO THOSE WHO HELP US MOST TO GROW, IF WE LET THEM". :)

And if folks have read this far, go and buy the Wicked CD at
Amazon.com!! Now! You won't regret it!! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-2003-Original-Broadway-Cast/dp/B0000TB01Y/
http://www.wickedthemusical.com/sound_clips.htm

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/

P.S. Would ICANN be the foolish Wizard? :)