Re: [ga] The facts about professional registrants (domainers)

Hi Karl,

1) When we refer to domainers, we are referring to people or organizations
who predominantly register and hold large numbers of domains for the long
term. We do not consider people who are traffic tasting to be domainers.
Domainers should not be wrongly associated with domain tasters and
cybersquatters, just as landlords should not be wrongly associated with
slumlords. Like yourself, we pay for our domains in full for the complete
length of the registration. During the past year, we have only had only 2
credits for domains that we registered by mistake. That represents less than
0.06% of the nearly 3,500 new domains that we registered over that period
for the full registration term. It would not make a difference to us or most
domainers if the 5-day grace period was rescinded.
2) We are personally in full agreement with you regarding domain tasters and
would also like to see that 5-day grace period closed. A 2 or 3-hour window
to correct mistakes in registrations would be more than adequate and would
eliminate the vast majority of domain tasting. An alternative would be to
not issue credits from domain cancellations for a week. If someone decides
to cancel a registration, they cannot immediately use those funds to
register another name and must wait a full week. Another alternative is to
institute a non-refundable fee for every domain that is cancelled within the
5-day grace period. An amount as little as $0.25 would probably be effective
in putting an end to domain tasting.
3) Palage's comments were about the launch of new TLDs.We're referring to
the higher risk of speculating in new and unproven TLDs, not typographical
and spelling errors of existing sites and popular keywords in legacy TLDs.
And again, we're talking about domainers, not traffic tasters or
cybersquatters. Domain parking, as you imply causes pop-ups and pop-unders.
We do not believe that pop-ups and pop-unders represent responsible
marketing and do not participate in such activities ourselves. Saying that
domain parking is inherently wrong is the equivalent of saying that driving
an automobile is wrong or sending email is wrong. It all depends on how it
is used. There is nothing wrong with driving a car, but driving a car under
the influence of alcohol or drugs is wrong. There is also nothing wrong with
sending email, but sending unsolicited bulk commercial email or
intentionally sending malware is wrong.
4) Again, our comments were in the context of Palage's argument concerning
the launch of new TLDs. We are talking about an identical product, namely
that of a registration in the new TLD. Your plan to block certain traffic
sounds like censorship. Don't you think allowing users to make a choice is a
better alternative?  From your comments, real users should be lining up to
buy domains in TLDs like .pro because there is little domainer interest. Why
is that not the case?
7) Actually, bacteria that causes milk to spoil also creates some delicious
cheese, so it really depends on your perspective, as to whether you believe
the glass is half empty or half full? (pun not intended)

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com