Re: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

Gomes, Chuck wrote:
You are totally missing the point Karl. Nobody is suggesting that ICANN
guarantee business success or prop of registries but a registry's hands
should not be tied so they cannot drum up busiess themselves. Right
now, they must rely on registrars to do that for them and if registrars
elect not to do it, they are stuck.

I actually think you and I are on the same page - I don't see any reason why a registry, big or small, ought to be prevented from setting up whatever distribution channels it wants to set up.

I don't see much sense if requiring any registry to operate via a set of defined registrars.

Now, that is subtle shift in the notion that registries were to be some sort of pristine, selfless operator of a shared database. I see that as possible only at the root zone layer (which is pretty much what ICANN becomes under the new IANA contract) and if a particular registry voluntarily wants to operate that way.

What I was reacting to is the confinement that is imposed on everybody by ICANN's tight regulation of business practices. Those practices seem to be a strange brew of trademark protection and utopian "Stranger in a Strange Land" (Heinlein) thinking.

I divide the registration world into two parts - The fist part is those of use who never had a chance to shop for names in a competitive environment in which real name product differentiation exists. The second part being those who did have the opportunity. Since we do not yet have a competitive environment, every domain name owner so far is in the first category.

I believe we need regulation (from ICANN or wherever) to protect those in the first category. We need no regulation, beyond the normal laws of fraud, misrepresentation, and anti-trust to protect those in the second category.

To my mind the faster we get new TLDs - not only the ones that have passed ICANN's beauty processes but also ones that can try imaginative and even risky (business risk, not technical risk) approaches - then the faster we can get away from the regulatory system we have now.

		--karl--