RE: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing

  • To: "'Elisabeth Porteneuve'" <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Tiered (Variable) Pricing
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:07:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Elisabeth:

It is so good to hear from you. I truly miss your regular attendance and
participation at ICANN events.

With regard to your first comment. Yes, there are tiered pricing models
for existing communication services. However, these tiered(variable)
pricing are generally uniform or non-discriminatory. Although I have no
restrictions on my land line in connection with the number of calls I
may receive, the same does not apply to my cell phone where I only have
an allotted number of minutes for incoming/outgoing calls prior to being
charged an additional surcharge. In my paper I talk about protecting
reasonable expectation interests of registrants. In the case of Google
they are currently paying a $6 registry fee for the name google.com. I
believe once they have registered this name, this registrant should not
be subject to any discriminatory per domain name pricing fees. The only
fee increase that Google should be subject to would be a uniform rate
increase imposed on all registrants.  However, if Google wanted G.COM
since G is not currently allocated, VeriSign would have the option to
impose a tiered pricing model on this allocation.

Turning to your second comment, I can tell you that registries today
deal with liability issues on a regular basis even under today's price
regulated basis. I agree that any type of tiered(variable) pricing may
raise additional legal concerns. However, I do not see any reason why
these legal concerns cannot be managed by the registry, nor while ICANN
should have to indemnify the registry. I think any per domain name
tiered(variable) pricing needs to be based on primarily objective
criteria, and applied in a non-discriminatory manner.

With regard to the allocation of these names and balancing potential IP
interests, lets take O.COM. Overstock has been a very vocal participant
within the ICANN community regarding the release of single letter domain
names. The question that may eventually have to be answered if single
letter names are allocated is who gets it? There are numerous trademark
registrations in connection with the letter "O". An additional question
which must be asked is should a trademark registration serve as a
monopoly to prevent the general public from registering a common letter
of the alphabet?

These are some of the legal issues which are direct and a not so
insignificant expense in connection with running a registry. Danny
talked about how economy of scale should require mandated price
decreases. Unfortunately, the legal expenses in connection with running
a registry are generally inversely proportional. The more names, the
more potential legal issues. There are also other costs which are
similarly inversely proportional in running a registry such as increased
infrastructure cost to mitigate against DDOS attacks, DNSSEC
implementation, IDNs, etc.

So at the end of the day, I believe your post really sheds light on an
important aspect. Running a registry is not merely about running a
database. There are numerous business and legal factors that must be
accounted for in the operation of a business and thus factored into the
overall price of a domain name.

Best regards,

Michael