Re: [ga] Summary Email

  • To: kidsearch <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Michael D. Palage" <Michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Summary Email
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:12:47 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: "'Thomas Narten'" <narten@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chris,

  No.!  Rules must rule the day. No judgment or competition. Meet the paradigm criteria and be allowed or go home. OTOH = Meet the criterian and it is autopilot from here to terminal.

  Can Rosa sit in the front of the bus or is it up to the white driver. Rules is Rules, competition is for the wealthy.

  My old mentor Melvin Belli told me his son would be a great lawyer. I of course asked why would Ceasar make a great lawyer? His answer, after Ceasar failed the Bar exam, was "cuz I i said so" The King of Torts can do no wrong,  No Chris go with hard rules not tempermental aristocracy.

  Back awhile ago my best man roomed with a freak who would smoke two bong hits and two Coors every morning before practice for downhill Ski practice. the man was crazy by he qualified. Damned if he did not bring my country a gold reaching speeds of over 85 mph on a pair of razors. Qualify first then let us see your hand.

kidsearch <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  "Unfortunately there is a general lack of trust among the community for
the ICANN staff to do the right thing. However, I have an idea which I
would like to circulate. ICANN could create a Competition Office, not
unlike the Ombudsman that would be independent from ICANN staff
oversight and report directly to the Board. This Competition Office
would be tasked with reviewing new registry service requests and making
referrals to the national competition authorities. This Competition
Office would in NO WAY impact any review by the standing technical
committee which has its own mandate. This independence competition
office would act as an important safeguard to prevent a registry
operator from trying to exert undue influence on the staff during its
consideration of a funnel request. The elegance of this approach is that
it would not need any tweak to the registry contracts just an amendment
to the bylaws to create this office."

Unfortunately, due to past experience, if ICANN were to do this, they would
appoint more than half that committee with people who are shareholders in or
have others interests tied to the Registries and Registrars. Conflict of
Interest section must be nonexistant within ICANN glossary of terms.