Re: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:40:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hate all caps. its like yelling, but as you point out, its my
misunderstanding here. I was not aware, actually didn't take the time to
become aware that you have no control over indivdual domain name pricing.

However, the contract statement is still correct. Contracts are meant to
spell out every option so there can be no misunderstanding later.
Hypothetical situations should be taken into account on any contract. As you
pointed out, the market might not stand for a price raise, "unless there was
a corresponding price raise in dot com". I'll add to that "or other new tlds
not yet created". If all of the registries raised their prices at the same
time, purely coincidence of course, there would never be collusion on that,
then the opportunity would arise.

There will come a time when there is no viable dot com to register. its
close to that now. At that point, due to ICANN not allowing more
commercially viable tlds, dot biz might become the hot property. I'm sure
you have had this thought. Its only smart business to have thought of that.
At that time your marketing approach could change and your prices could
soar. So the provision should be clarified in the contract, in my opinion.

I'm all for a business making money. I'm not saying you do not deserve to
make a profit here. If domain names were only sold in the US to US
businesses, I'd say let it be $100 per year per domain name. It would free
up a lot of domains being held by speculators and eliminating the grace
period would even kill the tasters. I'd pay $100 for any of my domain names.

However, there are people who cannot afford to do so, both in this country
and abroad. Any body such as ICANN, the GNSO, this list, or whoever has to
consider that fact and make contracts that guarantee people will always be
able to afford a domain name and have the same opportunity as anyone else on
the web.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://icann.thingsthatjustpissmeoff.com