Re: [ga] China confirms alternate root for TLDs

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] China confirms alternate root for TLDs
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:44:44 -0800
  • Cc: Veni Markovski <veni@xxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

The answer is that such may or may not be related, depending on what
our large US companies such as google, yahoo, ect determine is likely
to be advantageous to them, regardless of whether same is in good
keeping with good trade policy and practice or the USTR's trade
policy...

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    How does this fit in with the agreement to censor/nondisclose of
> our large US companies beginning to do business there?

> Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Veni Markovski wrote:
>
> > Danny and all, perhaps you may wish to take a look at
> > http://english.people.com.cn/200603/03/eng20060303_247684.html for
> the true
> > information?
>
> Not much actual information at that link, merely a denial without
> concrete
> substantiation of what actually is being done.
>
> > It's always good to double check such "news" before posting them to
> the
> > mailing list.
>
> Some of actually went and did better than mere "double" checking. We
> cranked up DNS tools, like "dig" and sent queries and looked at
> No plugins were involved and nothing was playing games appending
> suffixes
> or rewriting names; we went to the bedrock level, DNS and nothing but
> DNS.
>
> My own check was somewhat cursory and was replicative of the cheks of
> others - some of their output is on the Circle-ID thread - but from my
> own
> observation I am quite sure that some Chinese servers were, in fact,
> answering for the purported TLDs.
>
> It was late at night when I did it so I didn't make note of the
> important
> little bits, like the "aa" flag - yes, it was dumb of me and sloppy.
> But
> the point was that some Chinese name servers did appear to be
> responding,
> without error, to queries using the new names.
>
> Perhaps I, and others, were seeing responses containing cached data
> from
> some transient experiment? Maybe. But then again maybe not. Perhaps I
> and the others were simply misinterpreting what we saw - in my case I
> know
> that my work was not of scientific quality - but then again our eyes
> are
> somewhat familiar with the arcane art of looking at DNS queries and
> following chains of delegations.
>
> So, my sense is that it does seem like there is rather a solid nugget
> of
> truth buried deep within the rumors and concerns.
>
> Now, I would hope that ICANN might actually make an inquiry and
> publish a
> highly detailed statement of what, in fact, happened. And I would hope
>
> that if China is doing what new.net did that ICANN will publicly apply
> the
> same words and phrases of condemnation to China that ICANN did to
> new.net.
>
> But I doubt that ICANN will make such an inquiry. ICANN did not make
> an
> inquiry into how Taiwan munged its own roots a couple of years ago.
> (You
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827