Re: [ga] US Lawmakers Lambaste US Tech Firms for Submitting to Censorship Pressure Abroad

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] US Lawmakers Lambaste US Tech Firms for Submitting to Censorship Pressure Abroad
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:26:54 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now Jeff correct me if i am sos but, are these kids out of line?
  I mean i read and did not find one who had lost a gonad in battle.
  These folkees makes me tear not. They ain' t lost child or ever dodged a bullet.
  Now fix me up if i be wrong, but you cannot make them shut up. I been whooped but where do these folks come from? Have they even suffured Sars??
  End of grief.

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  All,

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4699242.stm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/15/AR2006021500301_pf.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/16/china_committee/print.html
http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/2006/0,4814,108725,00.html
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2006-02-15-hearing_x.htm

(16/15 February 2006)
At a US House of Representatives Committee on International Relations
hearing this week, US lawmakers took four US companies to task for their

business practices in China. Microsoft, Yahoo, Google and Cisco Systems

were criticized for bowing to pressure from the Chinese government as
manifested in censoring web sites and providing the Chinese government
with customer information that led to arrests. Legislators asserted
that the companies appeared to be motivated by profits and that they
neglected "social responsibility." The companies welcome the US
government's guidance in their efforts to "expand in nations with poor
human rights records," but cautioned that pulling out of those countries

could encourage the growth of competitors that do not share the US
government's concerns.

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
Abraham Lincoln

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827