Re: [ga] Domain Theft

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Domain Theft
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:35:26 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: vint@xxxxxxxxxx, mike@xxxxxxxxxx, scrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny,

  Thank you for bringing this letter up for discussion.

  What the author clearly describes is theft. I do not see any issue regarding at least that wrong.

  So my question is why doesn't the author go to the police? The FBI?
  Why do people think that regular laws and procedures do not apply to the internet?
  If someone had stolen the author's laptop they would not go to wipo or icann.

  Whether the concept in this matter should be civil or criminal or both I do not know.  But I do believe referral to proper authorities and recommendation of attorney services are the proper responses.

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  FYI:

This letter was just posted to the PDP comment forum.
http://forum.icann.org/lists/new-gtlds-pdp-comments/msg00027.html

To Whom it May Concern:

I do so much hope you can help me. I'm confident
there is a more proper place to send this message, but
am in hopes that you will re-direct me to the proper
email address.

I will try to state in a very few words my problem.
After
being an internet presence since 1997 and having
purchased and owned our domain name
"themedicineprogram.com" during that entire time, paid
thru 2007, it has been abruptly stolen.

I personally created the name, used the name in what
became a national wide organization because of the
internet, created and diseminated MUCH literature and
information incessantly
over those years, only to come to the office one
morning to find that our webpage and domain had been
taken down and replaced by others.

I believe we have complied with all laws and
regulations which cover the protected use of this
domain and the written materials which accompany it.
I further believe that not only is the domain name
protected by trademark but also the written materials
are protected by copyright.

The person who has taken our name is using it to
intimate that his company is ours and is in the
business of a very similar nature as ours. I
desperately need to be guided to the
proper source for help. Network Solutions has been
made aware of the loss and has agreed to release their
records upon receipt of a supoena. The FBI has been
notified and a complaint filed as directed by our
attorney.

Evidently the theft was accomplished by someone
knowing or hacking into the email address recognized
by Networks Solutions and by impersonating me the
thief succeeded in changing ownership or transferring
ownership because Network Solutions became convinced
that it was done with my knowledge and blessing.

If you could assist me in ANY way I would be eternally
grateful.
Our company was established in 1997 to assist elderly
and indigent Americans to obtain help with their
medicine. Our largest clients were the Social
Security Administration, State Welfare Offices, The
Offices of the Division of Aging, and etc.

Very Sincerely,
Paul D. Hogg, Founder
The Medicine Program, Inc.