Re: [ga] Trademark-free TLDs

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Trademark-free TLDs
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:49:19 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Karl,

Under the present system that provides Sunrise
opportunities for trademark holders you would never be
able to secure hummer.tld for yourself as it would be
snatched up long before you got to the Land Rush.  I
agree that a "reservation" approach is less than
optimum, but remain convinced that most TLD applicants
will continue to kowtow to intellectual property
interests in order to maximize their chances of
obtaining the coveted TLD.

This is a consequence of the beauty contest approach
which will necessarily prevail unless the Board can be
convinced to pursue an auction approach.  Yes, I know
that Mike Palage has indicated that the ICANN Staff is
keen on auctions, but I have yet to see support for
that approach throughout the GNSO constituencies --
see
http://www.onlineaccountability.net/IPC/PDFs/2005_Sep15_Agenda_Minutes.pdf