Re: [ga] A TLD for Trademarks

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A TLD for Trademarks
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 06:01:53 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Agreed.  Granting prior restraint to large IP interests without so much
as a how
do you do to the vast majority of Registrants/stakeholders/users, is
severally
limiting a significant and rapidly growing part of free speech and
freedom of
expression.  Not to also again mention, the deterioration of free trade
as yet
another element of granting prior preference via sunrise processes,
educated
by ICANN to coddle SIG such as IP lobby interests where ICANN might
gain further financial support.  Such actions without legal review by
any
interested parties opposed to such sunrise provisions is detrimental to
world economic as well as domestic trade inter or intra state.  And for
these very important reasons I agreed also with Karl's earlier remarks
as to ICANN becoming increasingly legally entangled at the expense
of it's own mismanagement and errant attitude towards small business,
ect., ect. which represents more than half of the GNP in the US and
even greater in many other countries with rapidly growing economies.

As such, ICANN's granting of prior restraint through skewed mechanisms
a mal formed and conceived GNSO constituency model, and no real
At-Large representation, is dangerous to the future of many countries
economies and most especially my countries economy

Lets again face the facts or reality, Domain Names should never
have been trademarkable in any name space.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Well written here Richard,
>
>   I happen to have a monopoly on facts, law and the truth! And from
> that omnipotent place of all power I concur with you.
>   IP interests already have the deck stacked in their favor. New TLDs
> should not give them a prior restraint law that weakens free speech
> rights.

> Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Hi Chris,
>
> It may well be you are right (I don't have a monopoly on facts, on the
> law,
> or on the truth!). I just don't know.
>
> But I am not convinced that ICANN is *obliged* to run Sunrise
> procedures to
> pander to the IP community every time a New TLD is launched.
>
> If ICANN wishes to assert that .reg or .tm is the place where
> Trademark
> holders may claim automatic rights (based on authenticated Trademarks)
> then
> it can do so. 'Sunrise' mechanisms are surely not inevitable,
> obligatory, or
> indeed required.
>
> Meanwhile, my understanding of WIPO precedents and decisions is that
> challenges by Trademark holders etc only succeed where the registrant
> of a
> name has been shown to have registered that name "not in good faith":
> in
> other words either (a) to defame a Trademark holder (b) to 'pass off'
> as the
> trademark holder (c) to try to sell the Trademark holders 'name' as a
> form
> of blatant speculation (d) to use the famous name to lead people to
> links to
> other websites etc.
>
> I had a specific experience when I registered a .com website a few
> years
> ago. Here in the UK we have an extreme right-wing political party
> called the
> British National Party, which basically wants Britain to be kept for
> 'whites' and would be glad if other ethnic groups could be induced to
> be
> repatriated (at least that is the historic leaning of their
> organisation).
> Many people here in the UK feel that it is a racially-motivated
> organisation. So when I saw that britishnationalparty.com was
> available for
> registration, I decided to register it and run an infoemation site on
> the
> party and its policies. It ran for several years, was informative, had
> lively forum, and I made sure it was not defamatory, did not link to
> other
> websites I owned, and was not for sale. In other words I was using it
> in
> good faith, as an information site, and using my right of free speech.
>
> The leaders of this political party put pressure on me to hand over
> "their
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827