Re: [ga] gTLDs and the heretofore flawed ICANN paradigm

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] gTLDs and the heretofore flawed ICANN paradigm
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:42:17 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard,

examination of taxonomic considerations, Milton
Mueller posted the following observation to
ICANNwatch:

"The plan notes that the President will ask the DNSO
for its opinion on whether a taxonomic or open
approach will be used for name space additions. My
frank opinion is that a moment?s thought will reveal
that engagement with that question is a waste of time.
The taxonomic approach is not a real option. Over 40
million legacy registrations, more than half of them
in one TLD, make it impossible at this stage of the
DNS?s development to ?rationalize? the name space by
promulgating a classificatory TLD scheme. The name
space can only evolve through accretion; i.e., by the
gradual addition of new TLDs that meet naming needs
not adequately met by existing names. Taxonomies and
organized naming structures can and do exist within
TLDs (as well as in portals, search engines, private
keyword spaces, and digital libraries). But the idea
of a global DNS taxonomy that divides the entire
Internet up into neat little cubbyholes once and for
all is an impossibility.

The pre-commercial Internet cannot be used as a
counterexample. The ARPA-Internet?s original naming
taxonomy was developed for a tiny, closed network of
academic researchers and government agencies. The
community involved was composed entirely of
English-speaking participants in a common computer
culture. If you think that a planned taxonomy is
?rational,? let me remind you of the fate of .com in
Postel?s original taxonomy. As conditions changed, one
TLD ? dot com ? suddenly found itself with 87% of all
registrations in the USA and over 75% of all
registrations worldwide, leading to a level of
flatness and imbalance in the DNS?s hierarchical
structure that we are still recovering from. No
planner can anticipate the unanticipated; a taxonomic
structure ? even assuming that it was possible to
force users to fit into the categories the planners
create for them ? will quickly be obsolete in a
complex, changing, multicultural world."

I'm not sure that I agree with Milton.  I tend to
prefer the "Town Planner" approach that you have
referenced in that I tend to think of TLDs as zones
(and I am comfortable with the idea of community
zoning boards).  Perhaps we should further explore
this idea.

--- Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>