Re: [ga] A TLD for Trademarks

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, kidsearch <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A TLD for Trademarks
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:45:00 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I prefer this also. As a simple consumer, sometimes i don't care about quality. But generally i do and have found through too much trial and error to rely on big name brands. There are many great studies reflecting this truth. So if my wife wants something i would know to click into this brand name TLD and find what i want and what will never get me in trouble (except maybe sizes and flavor). That is practical and effects our billion users and supports our IP interests and our thriving internet economy.

  Take it to the next step with Jefsey and Karls' conversation and all the internet will be chatter and simply conversations back and forth, in which arena, there are no trademark rights.

Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I personally favour one clearly identifiable TLD for verified trademarks
(call it .reg or .tm or whatever) and the whole world knows that's where you
go to look for the official sites for recognised and established companies.

For all the other TLDs you remove the sunrise rights and trademark rights.

Companies who want to assert their trademarked identity, do so by publishing
within .reg/.tm. They may also choose to acquire other TLD versions of their
name and make them point to the .reg ending. The consumer, once educated,
knows its the official site because it resolves to .reg.

If it's not .reg, if it doesn't point to .reg and resolve to .reg, then it's
not the official site.

Of course, if someone acquires Pepsi.com and tries to pretend to be Pepsi,
or defames Pepsi through it illegally, then by their illegal actions they
should be pursued in the courts.

But the Trademark lobby should stop trying to hijack 1000's of generic names
which is our shared language. They should be herded up onto the .reg
enclosure and that should be where they live!

Where there are several companies in several countries using the same
trademarked name, then the .reg registry should develop structures for
handling that. But that problem of hundreds of 'Apple' trademarks around the
world already exists at present and even the protective 'sunrise' mechanisms
still hand out the domain name on what ends up as a first come first served
basis.

Domains should not be regarded as Trademarks. Except that in a designated
.reg / .tm enclosure, they may be recognised as representations of
trademarks.

One day there will be 100's or 1000's of TLDs. Does Pepsi or Little Fred's
Smalltime Corner Shop *really* want to buy their "Trademark" in every single
one of those new TLDs?

Only the registrars would really benefit from that... which is perhaps why
ICANN and the DNS supply industry uphold the Trademark/Domain Name myth.

Yrs,

Richard H