[ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:19:57 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I spotted these comments from MWC Group, Llc:

The Staff Report described one of these mechanisms as
follows: "On-going programs where baseline criteria
for the establishment of new gTLDs are published and
maintained.
Applicants can, at any time, apply for a new gTLD. If
the applicant meets the criteria, they will enter
negotiations to execute an agreement that provides for
the establishment of a new gTLD registry."

Based upon our own initial review and our discussions
with peers, our belief at this time is that this
mechanism, which would permit applications at any
time, would serve as the best means of promoting the
public interest and furthering ICANN's core values.
Specifically, ICANN has recognized from the time of
its founding that one of its core values is to
introduce and promote competition in the registration
of domain names, and that market mechanisms that
support competition and consumer choice should drive
Internet management because such mechanisms will lower
costs, promote innovation, encourage diversity, and
enhance user choice.

In our view, the "ongoing programs" mechanism would be
successful in promoting these competitive goals
because the mechanism would provide a fair and ongoing
opportunity for qualified entities to seek entry into
the top level domain registry marketplace. Promotion
of new entry can serve as a powerful incubator for
competition, and we believe that this mechanism is a
promising vehicle for fostering new entry. In
addition, given the current state of the gTLD market,
we believe that ICANN would be well served by acting
vigorously to promote competition in the market.

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-strategy-draft/msg00007.html