[ga] Vint: on the basic rationale for adding TLDs and any contra-indications

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Vint: on the basic rationale for adding TLDs and any contra-indications
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 05:22:35 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This morning a sent a note to Derrick Cogburn, Milton
Mueller, and Vint about the possibility of setting up
an Internet Governance Project virtual conferencing
session on the new TLDs PDP.  I'll report back to the
list if this can be done... we are up against a rather
tight schedule, so I can't guarantee whether this type
of event can be pulled off in the time remaining.

wrote:

"There is one area that I would like to see covered
that I am not sure it is included and that has to do
with the basic rationale for adding TLDs and any
contra-indications. I think we have pretty well
established that there is no technical barrier to
adding TLDs at the rate of a score or so per year or
perhaps even more. There also may be some processing
limitations for new TLD applications (process
bandwidth) and also some management limitations (how
much "work" does a TLD require - normal support,
changes to root zone, processing of IPv4 and IPv6
address bindings, contract negotiations and changes,
compliance checking, etc). The cumulative load summed
over all TLDs, etc)."

I'll admit that I hadn't yet considered the issue of
processing and management limitations... does anyone
have some thoughts on this consideration?