Re: [ga] The IANA's File of iTLD Requests

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The IANA's File of iTLD Requests
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:32:17 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.news is still a good idea.

.NPO is needed though. Since network solutions decided anyone can have a
.org, rather than set it aside for nonprofit orgs, people can be mislead
into thinking something is a nonprofit when it isn't, sort of like ICANN.

Take the hurricane katrina scams for examples of misuse of .org or all the
porn sites that have .org domain names.

I wish the so-called nonprofit constituency would take up that issue and
create .NPO where registrants have to prove nonprofit status in their
country in order to register domain names and provide some type of limits,
such as the ability to only register domain names that are related to the
mission statement of the organization. That way someone couldn't just set up
a nonprofit, then by up all the domain names holding them to sell to n
charities.

Grassroots.org or better yet to call them by their other name BuyDomains.com
buys a lot of generic domain names that are only useful to nonprofits then
posts them for sale on their website.