Re: [ga] Are "Split Roots" the Future of the Internet?

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Are "Split Roots" the Future of the Internet?
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:53:11 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Robert C. Atkinson" <rca53@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Farber <farber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, vint Cerf <vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxxx>, wsis <alt.wsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, WGIG <wgig@xxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "declan@xxxxxxxx" <declan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can find nothing that would support a doomsday if this scenario were played out.
I recentlyworked on a contract basis for a very large communications company. They have hundreds of thousands of employees around the globe. They have their own net. Clearly this can work for a geographic region or even a physically diverse group with same language. dot.BIZ proved the other factor - confusion- does not exist in such matters (funny but in fact Vint proved it by opting for dtoBIZ in the expansion even though their already was one).
Competition is good.
No matter what entitiy has control of a single net, that is a bad thing. We must assist and promote the formulation of proper process and methodology to get some competitors up and running, if for no other reason - Backup/redundancy.

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

I and most of our members have agreed with this approach for a number
of years now. It is important that the UN is not involved in any significant
way which is the main distinction from some time ago debates on this
very concept. However Vint Cerf was staunchly against this approach
than and still seems to be now given many of his most recent public
remarks. ICANN as a whole is also on record of being against
the "split root" or "Alt-root" concept as well.

Danny Younger wrote:

> http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200511/msg00184.html
>
> Excerpt:
>
> The U.S. is making apocalyptic predictions of what the
> U.N. would do if given control. Those predictions are
> probably optimistic; U.N. control would be a disaster.
> But there is a third way, as Mr. Gore might say. That
> alternative doesn't serve the interests of either the
> U.S. government, which enjoys the control it currently
> exercises, or its critics, who would much prefer to do
> their censoring under a multilateral umbrella. But if
> the U.S. continues its Internet brinkmanship, the
> third way will become not only likely, but inevitable.
>
> That alternative is a fragmented Internet, without a
> single "root file" that describes the locations of
> everything on the Net. The U.S. government has led
> many to believe that this is equivalent to dismantling
> the Internet itself. But it is bluffing.
>
> Root servers could spring up in France, or Cuba, or
> Iran. In time, the Internet might look less like the
> Internet and more like, say, the phone system, where
> there is no "controlling legal authority" on the
> international level. More liberal-minded countries
> would probably, if they did adopt a local root-server,
> allow users to specify which server they wanted to
> query when typing in, say, Microsoft.com.
>
> Would it be better if countries that want to muck
> around with the Net just didn't? Sure. But they do
> want to, and they will, and it would be far better, in
> the long run, if they did so on their own, without a
> U.N. agency to corrupt or give them shelter.
>
> It's time to drop the apocalyptic rhetoric about a
> split root file and start looking beyond the age of a
> U.S.-dominated Internet. Breaking up is hard to do,
> but in this case, the alternative would be worse.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Abraham Lincoln

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827