Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet

  • To: andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Monroe Doctrine for the Internet
  • From: RBHauptman@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:28:06 EST
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kidsearch, are you totally nuts?  You disappear from this list and  then
return to tell us how wonderful the US is?  christ, go away, and get a  friggen
life will ya.  You are firggen nuts

andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On  Nov 8, 2005, at 11:15 AM, kidsearch wrote:

> So, I gather that you  can give a list of countries that have given
> more aid to 3rd  world countries than the USA has.

Japan, but that's only if you look at  the total dollar figure. If you
take it on e per-capita basis or %  of GDP, the USA is well down the
list. Quoting  http://www.realityofaid.org/roareport.php?
table=roa2002&id=21

"Total aid from all 22 DAC donor countries  in 2000 was US$53.7
billion, down 0.4% in real terms from 1999.  Japan and the USA were
the largest donors in cash terms, with  Germany the UK and France also
giving from US$4 billion to just over  US$5 billion. (See Graph 16).

While donors from G7 countries with large  economies show up towards
the top of the list of aid donors in terms  of volume, their
performance looks much worse when aid given is  measured as a share of
donor GNI. (See Graph 17). Only five donors â  Denmark, Netherlands,
Sweden, Norway and Luxembourg â meet the UN  0.7% target for aid as a
share of national income, established in  1970.

Countries such as the United States and Italy give a pitiful  share of
their wealth in aid. Most G7 donors have allowed their aid  to decline
as a share of their growing wealth over the last ten  years. Even as
the Financing for Development Summit approached, G7  donors allowed
their aid to fall by 3% in real terms between 1999  and the latest
available figures covering the year 2000. On average  the G7
countries, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and  the USA
now give just 0.19% of GNI in aid â even lower than their  0.21%
figure for 1999."

Is our children learning?

>  Have to ask that question because as much fun as some people have
> bashing the USA, it is the very first country they call on for  help
> when they are attacked or have a problem too big for them  to handle.

Well, if you want to lay  claim to be the  "greatest nation in the
world" I'm afraid you're going to have to  put up or shut up.