[ga] ISOC Captures ALAC

  • To: vint@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ISOC Captures ALAC
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 05:27:11 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reading through the list of certified At-Large
Structures is almost like reading through the roster
of chapters of the Internet Society.  At this time,
ISOC chapters constitute in excess of 50% of all
certified ALAC organizations (almost 60%).

Now, don't get me wrong... I happen to like ISOC and I
used to serve on the Board of the New York Chapter,
but I don't like the idea of "capture".

The authors of the White Paper weren't too keen on the
idea either.

Obviously, we have a growing problem as more and more
ISOC chapters seek to associate themselves with the
ALAC initiative.  At the moment, the issue is somewhat
dormant as known of these groups (ISOC-related or
otherwise) has offered any public advice to the ALAC
or to the ICANN Board.  But what happens when this
group of entities eventually attains a critical mass
and their synergy starts to impact the advisory
process?

Capture is not healthy.  It is one of the reasons why
the NCUC prudently restricted membership to primary
organizations and did not allow membership for
individual organizational chapters.

The Board should deal with this matter.  In my view,
if they really want the steady input afforded by ISOC
chapter views, let them set up an ISOC Supporting
Organization, but let's not pretend that these RALO
wannabes are actually the At-Large.

http://mail.yahoo.com