Re: [ga] RE: Bylaws Change Requested -- The At-Large Requires Representation

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: Bylaws Change Requested -- The At-Large Requires Representation
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:28:39 -0700
  • Cc: Vint Cerf <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny, Vint, and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

   The number of potential interested stakeholders/users should not
matter.  The more that show and want to show and participate
at whatever level or in whatever way should be available to any
and all willing to openly participate as such.  Hence Vints seeming
concern is not only moot, but both concerning in and of itself, and
seemingly desirous of limiting or restricting open and transparent
participation.  Such a notion, is non sequiter at best, and
discriminatory
at worst.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Dear Vint,
>
> In my time as an ICANN participant I have taken note
> of the degree of participation within three
> organizations:  the DNSO GA, the IDNO, and
> icannatlarge.  Each of these groups attained mailing
> list numbers that only mildly exceeded 1000
> participants.  When I compare this activity to that
> found within the ISPs, the BC, the NCUC and the IP, I
> am proud to see a much higher degree of involvement
> (even the registrars don't get more than two or three
> dozen entities participating in a vote).
>
> We both know that a constituent body may be launched
> with a great amount of fanfare and that initial
> signatories to such an effort may be many, but
> certainly it will not be an unmanagable number -- as
> recent organizational history has shown -- and over
> the course of time those numbers invariably will drop.
>
> I am suggesting that the Board allows for the
> formation of a new constituency -- an At-Large
> Assembly.  Member management would become the
> responsibility of the constituency, not ICANN, so the
> ICANN concern over a possible 80,000 new voices
> becomes a moot point.
>
> Thanks for sharing your concerns.
>
> Danny
>
> --- Vint Cerf <vint@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So one interesting question is how to do this while
> > not ending up with the
> > 80,000 suddenly interested parties that appeared
> > when we tried a global
> > election?

> > Vinton G Cerf
> > Chief Internet Evangelist
> > Google/Regus
> > Suite 384
> > 13800 Coppermine Road
> > Herndon, VA 20171
> >
> > +1 703 234-1823
> > +1 703-234-5822 (f)
> >
> > vint@xxxxxxxxxx
> > www.google.com

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827