Re: [ga] U.S. tells nations hands off Internet

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] U.S. tells nations hands off Internet
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 02:08:30 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Marsh" <marshm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'kidsearch'" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:26 PM

> Individuals may have the creativity, and even the "plan".  But they don't
do
> anything without bread on the table.
>
> The corporations provide the driving mechanism (money) for the
individuals.
> Even if you consider that it was US government agencies that did much of
the
> initial work on the Internet, it was largely due to cooperation with large
> corporations, educational institutions (under USG and corporate grants),
and
> the USG (which gets its money largely from taxes on large corporations).
>
> It's not that the corporations are *controlling* the innovation, they are
> *funding* it - fueling it.
>
> Where are the real technology innovators (individuals)?  They work for
> corporations, for the most part.
>
> Gene...

So if I used an example like oil companies. Nothing to do with the Internet,
but relevant as an example here. You would say they have funded and promoted
innovation in the area of alternative fuels?

My point is that corporations fund and promote technology only when they are
in a position to make the most out of it for their bottom line. If new
technology becomes available they cannot control or that will hurt their
bottom line, they buy up patents and make other manuevers to stifle it until
they are in a position to take advantage of it.

Are you saying that corporations don't do this?

It even applies to how ICANN has chosen to or chosen not to offer more TLDs.

Chris McElroy
http://www.kidsearchnetwork.org
http://thingsthatjustpissmeoff.blogspot.com

Of

http://washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20050926-094916-3102r

> > > Frankly, I can't say I am disappointed by this announcement; not in
the
> > > least.
> > >
> > > Amiably,
> > >
> > > Sotiris Sotiropoulos