[ga] RE: [Released] [Contains offensive language] Transparency

  • To: "Vinton G. Cerf" <vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RE: [Released] [Contains offensive language] Transparency
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:43:37 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'ICANN Board'" <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Vint,

I do recall a similar prior situation -- the Public Comment Forum on VeriSign's Deployment of DNS Wildcard Service had taken note of a letter writing campaign (petition).  The Forum's Chronological Index page cited at the very top the source of the petition (http://whois.sc/verisign-dns) and indicated the page to which the petitioning comments were posted:  http://forum.icann.org/wildcard-comments/petition/

As ICANN Staff has previously utilized this procedure, I was taken by surprise when this most recent letter writing campaign somehow fell through the cracks.  You may wish to ask the Staff how it happened that the earlier petition regarding the Wildcard Service was noticed  while this other campaign somehow escaped their attention.  It may turn out to be a simple matter to ensure that such lapses don't occur in the future.

With regard to the issue of spam management, I'm given to understand that the ALAC's John Levine is considered to be somewhat of an expert in the field.  As the role of the At-Large Advisory Committee is to consider and provide advice insofar as it relates to the interests of individual Internet users, John and others on the Committee should doubtless be eager to assist ICANN in achieving a more efficient processing and disclosure of whatever public input is received.

Why not put the ball in their court and see what they can come up with?

Best wishes,
Danny Younger

"Vinton G. Cerf" <vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Danny,

I understand your point. There is a huge amount of spam that comes into the email at ICANN and I am not sure whether it is mechanically possible to distinguish "letter writing campaigns" from spam. I don't say this to dismiss your point at all, just thinking out loud about how to go about implementing it. Perhaps this is a judgment call and if campaigns like this are mounted, we should consider posting a sample?

The ICANN Ombudsman also received a large number of emails (not as many as the Department of Commerce, however). He considers these contacts to be private since the business of ombudsmanship requires a considerable degree of sensitivity.

Of course, every mailing list is now a potential spam target, so keeping a list like that actually useful is a challenge.

What's your thought about practical implementation?

By the way, all of the email sent to me that contained the string ".<triple X>" was filtered out by my company's spam filter and I had to retrieve these manually from the spam files!!

vint

Vinton Cerf, SVP Technology Strategy, MCI
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115
Ashburn, VA 20147
+1 703 886 1690, +1 703 886 0047 fax
vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxx