[ga] Pooling .eu registrations for auction

  • To: "General Assembly of the DNSO" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Pooling .eu registrations for auction
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:21:28 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Message sent to EURID today for clarification -

In the light of your webpage:
http://www.eurid.eu/news/archive/WarningUnaccreditedRegistrars
where you state -

"it has come to our attention that some registrars are 'pooling' the pre-registrations they accept with those of their partner registrars with the intention of auctioning to the highest bidder the first place in the queue for that name. This is in clear breach of the EU regulation and the EURid registrar agreement. Those registrars who participate in such activities risk having their agreement terminated and so will be unable to submit the pre-registrations they have accepted. We strongly recommend anyone who would like to register a .eu to contact an accredited .eu registrar from the growing list on our web site and to beware of schemes which invite them to participate in auctions."

Please could you clarify EURID's position on companies like Pool.com whose established business model is to use a large number of accredited registrars to 'catch' domain names. If they use this method to 'catch' new .eu domains and then pool their 'catches' and offer them to auction to customers, will EURID take any action? I ask this because I have the opportunity to participate in Pool.com's efforts to catch new .eu domains and I need to know that their practice is in conformity with your agreements and that any domains purchased and acquired through this process will be safe and not taken off me.

I am cc'ing this email to the ICANN community and the Registrar and Registry Liaison Managers at ICANN.

I flagged up this impending complication to the .eu processes for the ICANN meeting in Capetown last year:
http://www.icann.org/meetings/capetown/icann-domainnames-workshop-doc1-01dec04.htm

Thank you for any help and response you can send me.

Sincerely,

Richard Henderson